Confederate Memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia
In 1898, as the U.S. war in Cuba and the the Philippines began, President William McKinley promoted reconciliation between the North and South by proposing that the federal government assume responsibility for the graves of the Confederate dead. A Confederate section was established at Arlington National Cemetery and President William Howard Taft authorized the placement of a memorial. The United Daughters of the Confederacy raised funds and commissioned a Confederate veteran, Moses Ezekiel, to sculpt the monument. The three-story monument features a large figure representing Peace standing atop a base with life-size figures of Confederate soldiers going off to war,and includes an African-American slave holding a soldier's child. The monument was dedicated on June 4, 1914.
Creator: Moses Ezekiel
Source: Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia